Thursday, November 11, 2010

the next wave....









one of my favorite movie....

I had finally finished the coding of drug… 450+ of them (it is really small amount compare to the 10000+ items of the National Taiwan University Hospital). The interface for the drug data managing and nurses drug dispensing are also readied. The nurse could just click the mouse and all the photos of drug for the patient would be shown on the monitor. The program is time specific, if the current time is 6:00pm , only the drug given on the time would be shown. The nurses won’t have to double check the drug with the pharmacist if they were unsure about the appearance of the drug.


However there are still 3 great challenges lying in front of the project. The 1st is the photo, I got about 200 drugs with photo and the quality was unacceptable. I had coordinated with the art supervisor of the hospital and she agreed that she would get a desktop copy stand and take the photo for me. But I had to communicate with the pharmacist and get all the sample labeled and pass it over to her. Communicating with the head pharmacist is a problem as he had always been a stone head.


The 2nd challenge is setting up the testing ground. I had did a preliminary discussion with both the matrons(we had 2 now- 1 for he critical unit and the new one is focusing on the ward)- the ICU would be the 1st to run. But I would have to communicate with the attending physician and surgeon that all prescription would have to computerized –no more hand writing. Someone would definitely grumble….


The 3rd challenge is to introduce the scanner and modify the dispensing trolley. Scanner and bar-coding are simple technical issue but the dispensing trolley is more complicated. Batteries, wireless LAN should be included and the MIS dept is currently still in limbo. They are still busy upgrading some of the window 2000 terminal to window 7 as I had upgraded my develop platform from VB 2005 to VB 2008…



An amateur trying to create a user friendly interface for an existing system .... I am alone and I felt like sailing into a series of giant waves – this would be the most gigantic wave ever, there are so many things that are new to me….


I hope I could make it through with FAITH…


 



 


No comments:

Post a Comment