Thursday, September 15, 2011

safety in ED


 


I got a threat few weeks….An alcoholic was brought into the ED in a stupor state. I had did a check of GCS and the alcoholic had jumped up instantly and accusing me of using “force” on him. He had threaten me that he wanted to call his buddy over and teach me a “good” lesson. What a crap. Few months ago, there Department of health had issued a statement after an assault incident involving patient and ED staff stating that it would be must for ED to have restricted assess and security coverage in the future. I remembered those old days working in the Casualty department of Hospital Tengku Ampuan Rahimah…. There is always a security guard outside – the ED. Every pt would be triaged and called accordingly. There is a police’s hut nearby and there is always a police on guard… Relative safe environment protecting the violence victim in a sense. There was a case about 9-10 years ago, a wife which was assaulted by her husband sent to a local hospital nearby. The husband had later arrived in the ED and unexpectedly drawn out a knife and stabbed her over her flank. She had sustained kidney laceration and later death on table despite of emergency surgery in the ED.


I had heard threat and I think it would be appropriate to do so but it would greatly increase the cost. However Lem had told me that our hospital is different from others. Our ED had contributed 75% of the admission unlike the other hospital which comprised of only 30%. Just hope the management would look into our safety. I had told my colleague not only once that if firearm is to be legalized here, I would apply a license for firearm and carry a Glock during my shift….


No comments:

Post a Comment