Wednesday, October 31, 2012

survival the night shift......

I still remembered the 1st night I did my shift as a houseman. The thrill and excitement was handling patient was a new experience for me…After years of working, managing patient’s complaint in the night had been a reflex for me. Use the shortest time to get to the key point, managed the complaint and get back to sleep ASAP was the key to survive. Once, a senior had shared with me a cue to good sleep with me. He told me there was this resident who would do a night rounds in the ward around 11pm and after ensuring everything was managed he retired to his call room and  he would get a good sleep most of the time.


I never practice what he had said but I still think that it should be practicable. Last week, Lem told me about what the ward night shift physician done. All three of them had left respective note in the nursing station. The note was if BP more than ??? and give drug so and so , if Fever more than ??? then give drug so and so and much much more other “IF..THEN” order. A good move and they would be less disturbed by the nurses. Individualized of management according to various doctor but not according to the patient's condition....


The nursing director had later complaint to the boss and boss had stopped the action. I shook my head and told Lem after all this of year of doing night shift, I dare not do so as it is clearly violate the law.


I told Lem, those guys will not stay for the nightshift as the night shift ward job is stressful as well….I had a bad feeling about this and preparing to go back to the past life of covering the ward.


No comments:

Post a Comment