Tuesday, May 17, 2016

fading specialty....

I encountered a emergency labour case few weeks ago. The patient was a G6P5 , 39 weeker. The husband had rushed her into our ED during a busy Saturday. We had double consultation going on but yet, the initial scenario stunned my nerve. My colleague (a junior cardiovascular surgeon) told me that she had no experience of handling such case. The 2nd event was the meconium stained liquor which was noted on my vaginal examination. The os was fully opened and contraction was regular. Rupture of membrane was noted few hours before their arrival. No pitocin/ergot available was another disturbing fact which should have been corrected a long time ago. While I was worried about how could I take care of both the patients, one of nurse told me that our visiting obstetrician might still be around. She had called up and the obstetrician came to ED and took over the labour. I set up another resus area praying that the kid would be fine after delivery although the quick sonography look revealed the kid’s heart was still pumping.
The baby came up within minutes and I was cheering when the baby was passed over to me….the Apgar score was 9 and I did a suction via endotracheal tube without difficulty….
1 hour later, the mother and baby were on their way to another hospital.
I was lucky the baby did not come out flat, although there were still a few things to complaint about. The visiting obstetrician did not repair the episiotomy wound and he later refuse to issue the birth certificate. I had asked around and found that he had some medico-legal issue earlier and he had given up his practice of obstetric. He is currently attached to our health screening team and doing pap smear only. I had recalled once that I had consulted him about a missed abortion for DnC and he told me that he is a Buddhist and declined the job.
The medico-legal case had scared the hell of out of him; lots of the obstetrician had quit and practice cosmetic medication since the last 10 years.

Well, I am not the lucky one that day….the kiddo was….

No comments:

Post a Comment