Friday, November 9, 2007

Common condition, but uncommon patient...



7 yrs old girl with rt forearm swelling after fell down in the school yesterday afternoon...

common history and obvious xray....I was the ED doctor but the patient was Yun.....

I was on working that day and due for home on next day noon; Ving called me and told me that Yun's wrist was swelling after she woke up from her afternoon nap. She was playing and tripped over ? bar. She is due for her 1st exam the next day and she went to played in the play ground during her recess time...I grumbled a little and asked detailly about her injury.... Ving told me that the swelling was over the "wrist" side and it was ok when she arrived home...I thought should not be any fracture, fracture at the wrist side mostly cause instant swelling. I told Ving to gave her some syrup panadol and ice-packing. The pain was better but the swelling did not improved.
The next day was her exam and I went off at noon. It was Tuesday and she was went off by 3:00pm. I  told Ving that I would go to the school and had a look of her injury. When I saw her she was preparing to take her afternoon nap. I nearly fainted - the swelling was not over the wrist but at the distal third of forearm and it looked deformed...definitely a fracture. I took a leave for her and brought her room. We changed and brought her back to my hospital. It was one of the longest drive - I was post 24 hrs shift and took a 30 min drive from hospital and now returning to there again.
As I had expected - the xray showed a fracture : luckily was a greenstick one...I brought her to the ortho OPD and referred her to my colleague. My colleague suggested a cast with a slight CMR(Closed manual reduction)...Yun was lucky as the next cast(which was much lighter and does not required a cutter for removal had just arrived 1 hrs ago). Water resist pad was also use to prevent itchness...I was dread tired that evening...but everything was worth....I considered Yun as very lucky - at least no pin required.

I recalled the fracture I had 30+ years ago..,...I was studying in Kindergarten. There were 3 of us. We placed ourself inside a hula hoop: and started to run. I fell and knocked over my left elbow.. instant swelling and I was brought to local hospital and later referred to Assunta hospital. An ops was done and closed reduction was made...I was put on cast for the next 1+ months...The cast was those traditional one, darn heavy and the itchness was so stressful....I am happy Yun did not have to undergo that...


No comments:

Post a Comment