Thursday, July 24, 2008

never ending learning...

My past few calls were bad - interrupted sleep q1hly either by the wards or by ED patients. I seldom spent time watching TV lately - mostly busy with my program while waiting for data. The currently phase would be finalized by next week. I would have to meet with the nursing superintendent and head of pharmacy again next week. The progress note and passover note part were completed 3 weeks ago. Although some minor modification is neither - both of the them were running smooth. The order entering and prescription printing part are my current focus. The core was completed last week but after a brief discussion with the head of pharmacy, I was forced to re-write part of the script. The head of pharmacy requested and insisted that the 1st day UD dose would need to be stated on the prescription. Eg: IV Tagamet 1 amp Q8H is not enought it shoule be IV Tagemet 1 amp Q8H 1st day UD = 2 dose(if the order is prescrbed after 8 am).

2 tasks more before I could proceed with the test run in ICU. 1. The list of oral drug were not enter into the database. 2. The re-printing of prescription part need to be revised - serial no. needed for each print out prescription to facillitate the reprinting process. Why test run in the ICU ? well, I am one of the ICU attending physician - more easier for me to implement things. The ICU is a closed unit and manuplating is more simple. The most controversial part is the temporary telephone order. The nurse would need to key in the prescription on request via phone. The ICU nurses are more senior and able to carry out this job without problem. The ICU test run would last for 2 weeks and after the run and review. It would be implemented throughout the hospital. Then I shall move on to another project.

I enter a phase which I ever imaging  - writing computer program .Once, I thought becoming a physician is the last thing that I learnt to be.  But now, I knew more surprise I would get if I keep on the hard wark of learning.....


No comments:

Post a Comment