Monday, December 21, 2009

bitten

It was a last day of the "cold front" night - supposed to be a peaceful night - at least the "small night" shift(4pm-12MN) was... I had a 999(a.k.a code blue) and I managed to get a ROSC after 15min of effort...A CVP was inserted as hypotension was noted. After the CVP, I went back into the blanket and wished for a good night shift the rest of the night. But by wish lasted for only 10 min - > "ETT cuff leak noted with bed I X, might need a re-intubation...". I gladly complied and went back to ICU. The patient was struggling as the nurse tried to remove the ETT - no a good sign : "S n R" (struggle and resistance)...
I ordered a propofol - if muscle relaxant was ordered, the nurse would have to take a long time(ran to ED ... it was the hospital policy to keep it in ED and OR only) and  propofol seem to be a  good choice at the moment - and I was wrong....


  I waited for the patient to calm and introduced the blade... the patient suddenly awaken and started his "S n R" tour. He had caries and lost half of the tooth and the blade had sunken into one of the gap and my right index finger was bitten following the sink.... Luckly no wound was done but I had a bruise over my index finger's nail bed....






darn ... 3rd time since I got my license, reminded me to insist for muscle relaxant next time....


No comments:

Post a Comment