Sunday, March 19, 2017

when the birthday present is not only an item.....

It is easy when your kids want something, a book, a toy and even a mobile phone. As a father, you just need to reach for your wallet and volla...
After many years of easy give and take, things had gone a little complicated during Xian’s recent birthday…
During a dinner season, Xian had told us that he envies those who build his own computer and he would like to learn the skill and do so in the future. Ving however had told him that he doesn’t have to wait; there is someone in this house who can teach him to do so. Xian had shown an astonishing look and told me that he wanted to build his own computer as a birthday present.
I picked up the skill during my college days but I had opted to buy built up unit later when I returned for my training. As I figured the training might be quite hectic and I would have no time for gaming. I had acquired 2 units in the past 10 years and all of them had failed recent 2 years
Xian's request had pushed me to the difficult part, to build and not to buy….
Well, he had actually wanted something more than a simple desktop. He wanted something that can powered 3 monitors – inspired by the scene in Rogue Nation where Benji played Halo at work….
So we are not talking about an entry level i3 with all in one mother board; it is something at the high end with i7 and GTX10x0.
Well, I had started to read up since then. There was a lot to learn from even though the concept did not change but lots of technical details were updated since then. Over clocking was definitely out of my plan as it requires a good liquid cooling system and the risk of leaking would haunt me everyday. I had some struggle making up the list. Some decisions were easily made and some were not. But the principle was to get components sub par to the best in the market.
After our trip from Malaysia, I had a discussion with Xian again and he had shown determination to build his own unit. I had caught a window between my shifts few days prior to his birthday to do the shopping round. I visited a whole-seller in Kaohsiung and grabbed everything on the list.
During the purchase session, I had asked Xian again “Why don’t we let the seller to help us to assemble the unit, after all it is free of charge”
Well, he had firmly told that he wanted to proceed with our plan.
Handling a few hundred RM component is one thing, assembling a few 1+K RM components together is another story. Anything could happen and I just can’t bear to think about it...
The assembling process was complicated. The casing was mATX and the mother board I bought was ATX; we had to wait for one more day for the replacement. It took us 3 nights to get the mother board LED light to turn on. A further 3 more days to get all three monitor working in surround mode.
Xian did most of the assembled job under my instruction, minus the insertion of CPU and graphic card of course (you should see me shake while inserting both of the devices).
Triple monitor with surround mode is a something new to Xian and me. Not many games support the mode but yet it is an extraordinary experience.
The triple monitor setup requires a table with decent depth to unable a good view; thence I had modified my working desk by adding a keyboard drawer. It extended my desk depth for about 30cm.
While Xian is roving in the world of watchdog2 (Which gave me a severe vertigo even watching him played).; I had added a thrustmaster hotas x and rudder to my gadgets recent few days.
I did a night airfield traffic pattern flight at Kaohsiung airport on FSX today morning prior to my shift and it was amazing…

It was truly an adventure for me; without Xian request and enthusiasm, I would not have the motivation to perform such task.   
Thanz to the birthday boy...

No comments:

Post a Comment