Thursday, January 1, 2009

21,180 and 13,120 ...


It was a hot night - yes, at this time of the year, you could still get 23 in the night at the southern tip of Taiwan. I had this couple with MVA. A young man and a girl  - I considered 21 y/o as a man and a female below 16 as a girl. The girl was only 13 y/o. They was riding a bike and fallen. I had this young man admitted 1+ months ago for UGI bleeding. Gastric ulcer due to alcohol... alcoholic at the age of 20+ : not surprise if he is an aborigine but nope he is a local. I was not sure with the relationship when I examined them both. When I sent the young man to radiology for imaging, I asked the girl what was their relationship ? The girl said friends - when a male and female is not relative that means they are couple. The nurses and I looked at each other with a queer look.... well, the girl definitely look like a girl - she is merely 120cm and the guy was 180+ cm. Well, I grumbled with the usual cantonese proverb - "Kam Tou Tak ?!!"(like this also can ? ) and hoping they are not having the relationship that I thought ( sexual relationship of coz, what do you expect from this kind of couple ? puppy love ?)
I insisted the girl to give us her parents phone. She had resisted once when the registration asked for her details - "I forget"(how could you forget where you stay and your house phone no ?) . I threated her that if she refuse, I would have to handed her over to the police (by law yes - but I doubt the police would comply with the law and dance along..). She gave in fast and I called her house the next minutes. I called the house and a very young voice picked up the phone - I asked if that is XXX house and I got a positive feedback. I told the kiddo that I am from FL hospital ED and asked her if any elder person is around. She told me that no one is around  - and asked me about the detail - I told her the situation and strangely she told me to hang on.  Seconds later - a male picked up a phone and identified that he is the father. I told him the detail and he said he would rush over and asked me to keep the young man.
The police came to  ED later - the police had a link with the ambulance service - they would come over for investigation. They police asked around and requested an alcohol breath test and the young man refused. You could refuse a breath test provided you agree with a blood test and the police love blood test - no arguement. The police equipment was not properly maintain and there was a case in the past which went to court as someone had found out the breath test machine was not sent for recalibration for a very very long time.
The young man absconded after he went to toilet. The police had to issue him a fine of NT 60000. Another maroon who think he is smart - NT 60000 is the highest fine and he doesn't look that drunk.... he might get a less fine if he took the test.
The girl family came and the father was quite pissed off. After some Q&A about her medical condition. I chatted with the granny. The girl had been with the young man for sometime and the girl's family had went to the young man's house and proposed a lawsuit. ( the girl was under 14 and it is a crime to have sex , consent or no consent). The grandmother(I knew her as she brought the young man over for UGI bleeding last month) had kneed down and begged for pardon. The girl's granny told me that the young man was very spoiled.
I thinked of Yun after the girl went home ... I need to spend more time with her - I am those kind of dad who would break those young maroon's leg  who dare to hurt Yun....


No comments:

Post a Comment