Tuesday, March 24, 2009

possessed by EDS....

I finally went to tune my Z….. well, I had wanted to act a very long time ago... there are many workshop which do engine tuning but I had only a handful to choose from. The chiptronic is not suitable for the 1.8 easytronic version and the EZ-Kbox is a local product( the price is sky high NT 60000!, darn... the dealer boosted that it is from Germany but actually a Belgium product and modified by locals). I opted for the EDS chip tuning. The EDS tuning was recommended by the local Zafira Fan Club. I wanted to tune for 2 reasons - fuel efficiency and the grab of pickup. The pickup of Z is sluggish at low speed - but remarkable after 80km/h. Most of the time, I would " lagged" at the starting point; unless I really stepped on it, My Z is always a chaser.


The EDS tuning increase the power from 140ps ->155 ps(A Head so Big (Toyota la..) Wish is 150 bhp, some said bhp is more superior than ps but actually it is 2 different unit to compare  ) and the torque is increase by 25Nm… minor improvement from the figure but according to other club members who tuned their car- the tuning is worth every penny.


I had had my Z for over 1 year now and driven 37000km before I had the chance to act. There is one workshop who deal in EDS tuning. The workshop is located around outskirt of Taipei. I had this chance and visited the workshop last weekend. I left Ving and the children in this Babyboss city and headed for the ‘holy EDS shrine’. The tuning took around 2+ hrs and it could be started only by 3pm as the workshop would need to upload the data from my car chip to Swiss for remapping. Later the data would be downloaded back and remapped into my car. I reached there by 3pm and headed back to downtown Taipei via MRT leaving my car with the workshop.


When I headed back to the workshop by 6:45pm the process was almost finished. My Z was well polished(complement by the workshop – IPO polishing cost about NT 2000). I waited for another 30 min before I left with my Z.


A different driving experience after the tuning:


1.No more dragging sensation with low gear.


2.The 2nd and 3rd gear is no more sluggish.. 


3.The pickup of 5th gear is better


I haven’t try the sport mode yet … and


The EDS for 1.8 is all time unlike the 1.9D version(work only in sports mode) and I am satisfied with the result – every penny well spend…


I did a very gentle cruise on the way back the next day – the mileage was fantastic: I had a 16.2km/l with air condition turned on ( no heavy stepping on the oil pedal of coz, cruise speed 90km/h)


On the second half, I stepped hard on the oil pedal and the mileage was 14.0km/l/. My record was 12+km/l on aircon and 13+km/l in the winter on the highway.


No comments:

Post a Comment