Sunday, March 11, 2012

ACLSI .... revisited...

It had been 3 years since my last entry to the ACLS instructor course – failing the final part was really a stress to me… I gone to the pretest 1 years later in Taipei but again with minimal preparation and of course I did not make it into the course.


I forfeited the pretest in Taichung, but this year I had managed to step out from the shadow and trying to gain ground from where I had fallen….


I had managed to register my name on the closing date – a close one. I decided to buy a Chinese version book with guideline 2010. I had the 2010 guideline downloaded to my kindle but never got the feeling to read it….


I had picked it up but found that I need something more condense and picked one over the net.


The book arrived 1 day later and I got it from the 7-11 nearby. I had started my reading and completed all the MCQ few days ago. I did a thorough reading and ran through the scenario provided.


Not very confident as the preparation time was too short – only 1 week. But still, unlike the past, I handed my faith to the LORD…


The pretest was held in a teaching hospital 60km from my house and it was just at the exit of the highway. I left home 1.5 hrs before the pretest start.


I managed to get there without difficulty.


The written test was easier then I thought but still I was a little bit worried. I had my lunch and returned to the building and found that there were candidate walking out from the main door – the result was out.


I did not rush and took my time up to 7F where the pretest was held. I saw my name being highlighted and thank god that I had passed… however more to come next as I had to face the skill station. BLS, megacode and Airway. I had no problem with the BLS and airway, but still the megacode post a challenge to me.


I was assigned to the megacode group and I had waited a while before I was called. My heart sunk when I walked out from the room. I did badly…. It was a trauma case (rare to have it in ACLS scenario) and it was supposed to be a hypovolemic or pneumothorax scenario. However I had spent to much time and the time was up before I got the the needle aspiration part. A bad start and I waited for another hour before I was called to the BLS station. I did fair at it and the airway station was good as I completed it under 30 seconds.


We were led back to the class room when the introduction speech was given by the tutor. The introduction was better than the last one I heard, a simulation of the scenario was given.


I praised LORD when I saw my name highlighted again, RM970 poorer and I had to stress for another 3 weeks. I had to prepare 20 topics for the course. 4 topic would be chosen 10 min before the presentation.


I am back to the ground where I collapsed and trying to get on my feet again……


Hope I would make it to the list this time....




No comments:

Post a Comment