Sunday, August 26, 2012

The path of training....

I had decided to go for sub-specialty training during my Malaysia tour. Well, I had been thinking about it for a long time. 6 years since I passed my internal medicine board examination. Most of the resident dipped into subspecialty training stat and I had waited a long time. I would be renewing my internal medicine diplomat this year and I think it is time for a step further.


The 1st step was not simple as I had to find a teaching hospital to train. I had to secure a research fellow post or 4th year resident post. Pay is definitely way below I got at the moment. I called up a medical center a little bit up north(50km from my house) and the pay was way lower than my expectation(30% of what I earned at the moment). There are 2 posts available, nephrology and infectious disease. My 1st choice of Gastroenterology…


I called up my ex-college hospital. I had done 2 tour there. Called up the department secretary and I got an encouraging answer. A lot of discussion and negotiation were done since then. I finally came up with a working cum training schedule. I met the head of department of digestive medicine 2 weeks later and I got all my answer.


I would be doing ED night shift on Monday in my hospital with 2 weekend 30hrs shift. Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, I would be undergoing training in University hospital. I had to cover for 2 night shift and 1 Holiday shift for the university’s hospital. I would be getting pay about 70% and I think I could survive the next 2 year without problem….


The final negotiation is pending on Lem return as I had shift I gave up had to pass over to locumer.


It would be different for me later…and I am preparing to my route for returning to Malaysia….


No comments:

Post a Comment