Monday, March 25, 2013

car battery....

I had not been a lucky car owner. Since my 1st car Kembara( Daihatsu Terios), I had experienced problem after problem. First was the radiator, then the gear box. The car had noted with 3 gear instead of 4 when I sold it… My second care- Serena was noted with generator problem and I was stuck on my way back, almost trapped on a road without light at 9pm. My 3rd car, Zafira was troubled with the famous gear box problem.


The car fan club had been a good resource for owner and I had joined relevant fan club since few years ago. The rule of thumb is the more electric gadget the more problem you get.


After of almost 2 years of driving Fefe safely, I had encountered a problem during our passport trip back to Malaysia. I had left our car in the airport parking for 1 week. It was darn cool at that time with the temperature fluctuating at 14-20C. On the day returning from Malaysia, the temperature was 14C and 3 warning light was lighted after ignition – the ABS, ESP and diesel warming light. I told Ving that we had fried as our car is having problem. It was 400km from house and I had to do day shift the next day. Such a disaster and I just couldn’t drive 400km with the warning light on. I took a deep breath and turned the engine off. I restarted the car 30seconds later and found that the warning light had gone off… What the hack, it was better to drive home with no warning light than with 3….Thank god and it was a very smooth drive.


I brought my car to the service center few days later and the mechanic had told me that no error code was noted from the computer nothing to insist and I drove back with a very bad feeling. I sought help from the fan club forum and found that some of the car was noted with faulty sensor which may cause the above problems.


I continued to drive for another 3 weeks and the incidence had occurred few times and the warning light went off after restarting the engine. However the interval was closer and closer;


1->2 = 3 weeks


2->3 = 2 weeks


3->4 = 1 weeks


4 -> few days once….and most of it happened in the morning/after a long hour of parking….


About 1 month ago, I was driving to the K City health office for the Oral Cancer screening course. The 3 warning lights were noted again and I restarted the car with no problem. However half way on en route, the ABS and ESP lights had suddenly lighted. I was shocked with the condition and stopped the car along the road side. I restarted the car and the light went off. It was an intolerable condition and I had decided to defaulted the course and drove to the service center. I reached the center by 8:30pm and found that the center was closed on Sunday. I met a Sale Rep who was not very helpful and tried my luck at another service center in K city.


The mechanic had noted my condition and told met hat he would replace the relevant sensor and check my car thoroughly on Tuesday when the parts arrived.


It was the end of the story as I had noted with same 3 lights problem and the service center had advised me to left my car for 1-2 days for further checking. I had left he car and took a train to work. The next day, the mechanic had told me that it was 4 light instead of 3 and he had found the problem – gear sensor and he had replaced the part for me and he told me that it should not be any problem…


4 days later, the 4 lights problem recurred. I had called up the center and the chief mechanic had told me that it might be the battery and although the reading was ok. I am not satisfied with the answer. I did another search over the net to see if any other model of car had similar problem and found that Ford Mondeo had similar problem.


Unlike the normal petrol car, the diesel vehicle requires battery with higher capacity. When battery of a diesel car weaken, one could not jump start easily from an average car (<3000cc). There are 2 signs which shown a weaken battery - > difficulty to ignite the engine or/and abnormal warning light showing on ignition and disappeared after restarting it. If only the problem with warning light happened, the battery might just went dead suddenly without going through the process of difficult ignition.


I was confident with the finding and decided to change the battery. I had scouted around the net and set my eye on Kawasaki battery 95D31L, which had a cold cranking amp of 620CCA and 80AH.


During the battery change, I asked the mechanic to check my old battery, the result was as I expected, the voltage was ok at around 12+V(so, the ignition was smooth) but the CCA is only merely 420CCA.


The warning light did not go on since then….


Happy that I had solved the problem and learnt something during the process….


No comments:

Post a Comment