Sunday, August 24, 2014

The hike

horton plain



I woke up at 4:00am, do my routine and woke up the kiddo. We were at the lobby by 5:20am and the driver came on time.
Horton’s plain was 33 km away from Nuwaraeliya and it would be a 1 hrs drive. There was only a handful of information over the net regarding the pricing of hiring a vehicle to the plain. Most of the price quoted over the net was around LKR 8000 for 4 persons. However during the search I had come across an ad over FB with contact no and email. I contacted the person and he had quoted me the price of LKR 4000 for the chartered. Frankly I was a little bit worried about the quotation but yet he was the only one that I could contact.
The driver DK was a nice young chap and the vehicle (Nissan Homy) was well maintained with good pickup. We managed to get to the entrance at 0645H. It was 13C and freezing cold when we started the hike.





\
horton plain


I had decided to take the left route which leading to the world’s end instead of the right route which leads to Baker’s fall first.
The pros -> we would enjoy a good view at world’s end (mist would be up after 10)
The cons -> should be very hot on the return path.
I reached the world’s end before 9pm and enjoyed our breakfast along with the great scenery.
The returned path was quite stressful as the trail covered various kind of terrain, from plain to muddy mountain route.
While walking along the stream with my family, I could feel the loneliness; leading my family walking the path of salvation.
We had made it to the entrance at 11am and back to Nuwaraeliya at 12+noon. We had our lunch at the famous De Silva Food centre. The kids had burger(too much spicy food and they had tend to loss appetite) and I ordered a plate of fried rice.
As noted by Tripadviser:
1. The service is darn slow ->waiting time >45min
2. The burger is nice and up to standard
3. The milk shake taste superb

My personal experience:
1. The fried rice is darn big-> enough for 3 person
2. pre-cooked meal is fast

Well, I joined the group later in the afternoon and the day was uneventful, however I had slept through the meeting as the 9km hiking above 2000m was a stressful one for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment