Tuesday, December 30, 2014

frus...

I got a text message when I woke up in the morning... it was sent from the auto sms system to alert me regarding some major abnormality of the imaging I have order.
The message was a “suspect neoplasm/malignancy” alert regarding a 19 y/o female who had presented to ED for acute gastroenteritis. She had a intra-uterine device implanted (which made me remembered her…) and I had discharged her with oral medication yesterday.
As a physician serving as first liner in a small hospital; I do not enjoy the luxury of having a 24hrs radiologist support. We would get our report hours or maybe days later.
The message confused me as what kind of information could one gathered from a KUB film to reach a diagnosis of neoplasm.
I was a little bothered by the message and when I gone to work the next day and saw the report:
“… Moderate enlargement of the uterus is seen, myoma should be R/O….
I was a relief….well, fine at least I did not miss anything…
It was hours later when I got a similar text message which alert me of a patient whom I had just admitted to ward for pneumonia minutes ago.
The reports :
“  Abnormal opacity is seen in Rt middle lung field…”
No impression was noted but he classified the report as possible neoplasm…
This time, I am a little frus as I had noted in the application form that the patient was febrile and cough was noted.
There was a film which was taken 1 months ago and it was completely normal…
Well, nothing was mentioned about the pneumonia though…
It had been only 1 month and all the emergency medical staff was irritated by this new radiologist…

Radiologist is usually our last resort and if the radiologist is unable to give us a definite diagnosis(I am not asking 100% of the time but at least most of the time), it would be difficult for us... 
but the worst part was not giving a definite diagnosis for the situation but to raise some out of cosmo possible neoplasm diagnosis to further complicate the condition....

No comments:

Post a Comment