Friday, April 22, 2016

from VS2008 to VS2015....access to mysql....

About 1 year ago, the vendor of the EMR system of our hospital had come to our hospital for demonstration. They had presented their upgrade plan for our progress note and medical order system(which is currently using the old system I had written with the VB2008). The offer was not an impressive one as no demo program was shown. The management had however requested the vendor to present us with something that look like the system which I had implemented almost 8 years ago. They had asked me if I could provide them with the source code, and I gladly complied. Frank said, I was not a good programmer then, sometimes, it would took me a good couple of hours to understand what I had written in the past. I had however stopped any further development of the program since then. I would make minor modification and correction as per request by my colleague from time to time. At the end of last year, The new triage system was implemented and I needed to upgrade the ED triage program. I decided to upgrade the old VS2008 to VS 2012 as the OS my computer was running  xp. The upgrade did not go smooth and I was force to take a leap to VS2015. After 1 + months of struggle I had finally migrated my program from VS2008 to VS2015 with some info gathered from the net.
At that point, I was quite confident and proceeded with the upgrading of database. I managed to install a mysql server on the qnap NAS in my house. Later the MIS department leader had provided me with an old computer running server2012. I configured a mysql server on it as well and shifted the whole database over to the new home. The effect was stunning as the access time was very fast comparing with the Microsoft Access DB I used in the past.
The MIS leader had however informed me that the hospital had decided not to purchase the new progress note system from our vendor as they were unable to come up with any demo program.
Well, it was a milestone for me as my program now looks like something mature enough to be called a product.
I had finished the nursing record part and will be going to launch next month….

Well, my next step is web based….

No comments:

Post a Comment