Friday, April 29, 2016

The missing Malaysian...

I had been following the news of a missing Malaysian student(LWS) since 1+ months ago. He was found recently near the east coast and later brought to our ED for an medical review (in our ED) on his way back to the university where he studied.
My colleague L had seen him and he was later interviewed by the media (which he remark was altered and mis-interpreted)
I googled and found some interesting facts…

Facts:
1.  LWS is a international student major in computer engineering studying in FW university. He is currently in his year 2.
2.  He was granted a 1st year tuition fee exemption during his entrance.(international student pay 2x of the tuition fee than oversea Chinese student.)
3.  He is a mature student age 35 who had saved up for 10 years to do his undergraduate course.
4.  He had difficulty in his grades during his first year and had failed 2/3 of his subject this semester. The school is counseling him for a transfer so that he could continue his study here in Taiwan
5.  He had packed up and drawn 30k out of his account (80k) and leaved the campus with his bike.
6.  He had checked into a local hotel further up north with 4 other foreign students few days later.
7.  A call from northern tip of Taiwan was made to the police claiming that he was safe few weeks after his disappearance.
8.  He was found wandering in front of a police station near GuanShan few days ago.
9.  Upon found, he was noted with speech difficulty and claimed that he had lost his memory. (partially and selectively loss of memory was noted- which I think was crxp…)
10.             He refused to communicate verbally. He could only communicate with the police via writing (in English).
11. He is a junior from my high school back in Malaysia.

It was a very sad and dramatic event for the fellow Malaysian. He had tried hard to save up and further his study so that he could have a better and different life. 

Unfortunately it didn’t go smooth as he wishes….

I was a lucky person as I had a smooth studying process and most of the credit should go to my parents who financed my studies despite of their financial condition. I knew the feeling of being a poor student. Keeping up with study is another challenge as I had to face the elite back in my college days.

I think LWS had known about his faith of being expelled or transferred from his study and decided to go for a trip rounding the island before the event occur. This island is a good place to travel...Even the ex-communist premier from the mainland is willing to crawl to Alishan if he is allowed to pay a visit here.
 LWS had taken good look around the island and later needed an excuse to cover his act. Well, he chose the "path of forget" and hopefully he could return to the Boleh land and continue his previous life without an undergraduate diploma. It was cruel and brutal for him after so many years of dreaming.

I had related this story to my kids; I told them that if you have a chance and luxury to study straight after your high school : don’t hesitate and grab the chance. I would support them all the way. Working and doing part time study is not fun at all; they had seen the time and stress I undergone few years ago. But yet I told them to study is a life long process, so enjoy it and don’t hate it …..

No comments:

Post a Comment