Monday, October 8, 2007

Lung abscess...

It was 1 years ago ... I ended up with Lung abscess during my internal medicine board exam...I did ok....I was finally back to the lane of physician and ended up with 2 Lung abscess lately...

There is this Pan-Citizen Health Insurance Scheme here in Taiwan...People need only to pay a monthly fee and enjoy it...However for admission - there still need to pay 10% or RM17000 maximum of the In-patient medical fee. However if the patient is admitted more than 30 days, they will need to pay 20% and 60 days - 30%...I have this lung abscess patiente, who was lucky that she was not intubated. But she had been admitted for 50+ days and I had to discharge her under family request...today the family called me up and asked me if she need admission again as she was having mild fever. I told her that she should but as she had only been discharge for 7 days her medical fee payment will be set at 30%..   only if she admit after 14 days than her medical fee payment % will be 10% again....I hope she could hold until that day...

I had another lucky and not so lucky patient - another lung abscess who was intubated - as he had been intubated for 21 days, his medical fee payment is 0%...he is now better but we were unable to wean him off the ventilator was noted. He will need a tracheostomy instead - yet another difficult situation...

Both of them were on Imipenem - imaging the cost of antibiotic...no drainage was done for them after discussion with family about the risk...

I am not frustrated - it could be worst in Malaysia...

 


No comments:

Post a Comment