Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Almost had it - part 3....


The sleep was bad.... chest tigthness and tachypnea....I was confused as I had never had similiar attack before. I was only slightly improved and I not really better. It was Friday and my round to the land of the lion govt clinic...

The "land of lion" govt clinic is located down south 40 km away from the southern tip of Taiwan. The clinic is currently under construction and the clinic is temporariy relocated to the local library. No air con was installed and it was good damn hot that day... My symptom had worsen again after a while, I took a couple of inhaler but it only relieved for a few minutes.... I need to take a few sigh from time to time to relieve my shortness of breath.

I finally reached home by noon and did not feel better. I told Ving that I might need to get re-admitted later that afternoon. Ving was very very worried... I was in a dilemma then - some O2 use may eased my discomfort but admission would panicked Ving... By now, I had reliazed that I had tappered my steroid too fast... I had only use methyprednisolone 40mg q8h for 2 days and changed to oral dose of 20mg tid on D3....Way to fast, during an acute attack - 1mg/kg is recommended and I am 90+kg : a use of at least 30-40 mg tid is needed....plus I did not use any oral ventolin nor theophylline tab... I gave in by 8pm.... I took a drive to the hospital - I saw the panicked and terrified look on Ving's face, when I told her I need to get admitted ... she offered to drive me but I denied - it was too late for her to drive such a to and fro distance....
I reaced the hospital by 9pm and got admitted... The chest physician was running the night clinic and he admitted me... he hit me with everything ... IV methyprednisolone, oral aminophylline and ventolin plus regular neb....
I slept better that night - thanz to the O2 use...but I did not get better. I was still breathless and need to sigh on and off to get some new air.
All the side effect of noted
 Headache and flushing - aminophylline + ventolin
 Mouth dryness - ventolin
 Dizziness - antihistamine
 Gastric discomfort - steroid
 Palpitation - aminophylline + ventolin

I just laid on the bed and put on my O2 whenever I sleep.... Ving came with the kid on D2 and brought me some food .... Once a while ( for mintues to hours), I could feel that I could breath smoothly and I thought I was better, but it was just for a while.
By D3(Sunday) - I was better and I discharged myself in the evening. Better means improved but not fully recovered. By this time - I started to wander about my condition - would I recover fully or I would have to go on prn O2 or lifelong oral tab ????? I just can't bare to think about my condition in the future...all I considered was - can I do the shift on Monday ?

I decided to do the shift ... at least I could use O2 when needed...and I was restless and having poor sleep due to the oral medication...

I wandered around the hospital with unsteady gait and inserted 2 CVPs with my trembling hand.... and put on my O2 nasal prong whenever I lay on the sofa of 175...

Amazingly the SOB sensation went off and I was almost well when I get off by 6pm Tuesday .... it didn't happen like a snap but I felt almost normal when I reached home....

I knew I had my life back and had an near escape from the gate of HELL....


No comments:

Post a Comment