Thursday, May 14, 2009

failed fan

When someone asked my opinion about buying a laptop, notebook… I would recommend a Thinkpad(no more IBM, now it is own by china base Lenovo…). Still, it is something very solid – Xian had not only once, stand on the laptop and still it still work fine.


My R40 was bought 5+ yrs ago and it is still working fine. 1+ months ago, I got this fan error message and hanged. I seek my answer out with GOOGLE and finally know that the CPU fan had failed.


I went to this Thinkpad service center in Kaohsiung and the engineer told me everything was fine, just the fan, the axial rod had broken BUT no replacement, its part had ceased production….. I had a bang over my head… I had asked around the other service center and found that the CPU is something unique.


I asked my brother for help and he said he can get some supply from some of the supplier. However during the waiting period, I found a ebay seller who sold such fan , a new one would cost me around RM280… Really sucks – quit a figure and I decided to buy it. While waiting for the seller for confirmation of stock. I came across another seller who sold a used one… just RM 50.. I bought it – anyway , if it failed, I could still buy a new one….


I got the fan




And started my work in our kitchen…



I had to read the guide from the net to open up my R40...the ASUS came in handy ...



as the engineer at the thinkpad center said - the inside was very clean...


I recomposed the R40 and Presto.. my R40 is running again...



Would I recommended anyone for a thinkpad again - definitely.... the feeling is still rock solid...well, maybe next time I would buy a harddisk and replace it...




No comments:

Post a Comment