Thursday, May 7, 2009

New threat....

The outbreak of H1N1 had disturbed our hospital although no case had been reported here in Taiwan. Many of us still remember the terrible period of SARS. I returned to work here during that critical period. I was most junior doctor when I joined the practice and I was assigned to ED and seen those fever patient.


 H1N1 under the electronic microscope...


 The OPD turned down any feverish patient and asked them to seen in the ED. I covered the daytime ED and I was the one who felt the heat most. The febrile patient was brought to the negative pressure room( it was not a standard one, no pre-room...) and I had to wear some gear (again not a standard one, I had an isolation gown which supposed to be disposable and due to lack of supply I need to re-use it. I worn a disposable rain coat (gown) outside my isolation gown for more protection. N95 mask is a must though plus a proctection face shield which I bought from a local hardware shop.) I had to tolerate it as I had nothing to complaint. We got 2 cases of SARS. They were transferred out as probably case and later confirmed as SARS. One of them had died (an old lady who was intubated for pneumonia - ) and the other recovered well(not intubated).  The SARS was a nightmere to Taiwanese medical personnels and we did not understand the virus initialy. There were still many of thems who survived and lived with with poor lung function. Some had died and these peoples had given us precious experience to warn us about such disease. We had learnt how to protect ourself and now is the time to make use of it....
We had a house discussion last week and we had gone through our plan again. Sadly, many of the unit/staff had forgetten the SOP and we would had to retrain them again.


I am not worried at the moment as Taiwan still free of any cases. But I had did some preparation - I had enough tamiflu for 4 of us in the house(NT 90 per capsule and darn expensive...).


 


I had some supply of N95 and surgical mask.... And I am starting to wear surgical mask on the job ( I hate it...it compromise the breathing and I think it is impolite ...the patient don't even know how's his attending physician look likes...)


No comments:

Post a Comment