Thursday, August 21, 2008

horn failure

My Z's horn was finally fixed.... for now....

well, it had been disturbing me for months.... I had expected problems with my car before I bought it... The 7RV forum had stated clearly that owner may experienced the below problems :
1. Noise over absorber - a washer need to be added
2. Horn problems - horn failure noted on and off when lights is turn on
3. Interior lamp persistently on - unable to switch off  --> bad driving habbit misleading the car that an accident had occured : reset the battery and ok...
4. Cracking of fog lamp : ?due to temperature

The interior lamp problem was noted twice within the first 2 months. After that it was ok and nothing was replaced and I believed that it was my bad driving habbit. The horn problem was noted later - it occured once a while and I thought I didnt press on the right place( the forumer had concluded that the horn is hard to press...) but later (> 6months) I noticed that the horn failed from time to time when the light was switch on. I complaint to the service center everytime during my routine service but the was no fault noted and the horn behave itself in the service center. finally , when the sales rep came to me for my annual car insurance payment ( that means it had been 1 yr oledi !!!!) and I lost my patient. I sent my car back and the service center replaced this and that but the problem was still there. According the forum, such problem had been noted in Astra and Zafira and most of the horn problem was solved after the CIM was replaceed. I had requested as replacement CIM(Communication Interface module ) earlier but they told me wiring and cable need to be replaced first and if the horn still fails then they would replaced the CIM.

I recorded the horn failure scene with my handphone and shown it to the service counter section chief and he told me that was of no use as the technician need to personally pressed the horn and the horn failed on the spot then a change of CIM would be done. I instantly fired back at him ...

My car was driven back by the car sale rep and the horn for a short while but behaved normally then - of coz no fault was found. A rewiring was done and the horn failed on me again 2 hrs after I got my car back. I finally called up the manager and told him if nothing further could be done I would call up the Taipei HQ and filed an official complaint. He told me to leave the car with the center and they would run a thorough check. I asked him if still no fault to be found then what - he told me he would replace the CIM and horn. I photocopy what I got over the net before I handed over my Z.

I lost my Z for 4 days and they told me no fault was found but they would change the CIM and horn for me. I got my Z back and found that the horn could be pressed easily ..... and no more horn failure when I turn on my light....

but some forumer told me not to be happy as there was someone who had CIM replaced and still problem recurred later...

Compare to other european car which offered similiar safety features - Opel car price is the cheapest .  But as other european car, due to different of weathing and driving condition, minor problems was noted from time to time - that is what a european car owner need to tolerate. I had colleague who wanted a Volvo XC 90 and called the deal off last minutes due to poor comment from friends.

I hope my CIM would last....


No comments:

Post a Comment