Thursday, August 28, 2008

MVA - drive carefully and slow

I was doing my order renew with my the order program when I got a call from ED. The ED had "requested me" to go down and help a. I think it must be something not that big but not serious. Lem was managing the ED - nothing could knock him down. Lem was seeing another patient with scalp bleeding when I stepped into ED - he told me to attend to the DOA patient in the active resus area. I turned and dipped into the scene. MVA victim - superbike rider : lost control and collided toward the divider. Everything was there - ETT, CVP . large bore. CPR was done for 10 min when I took over. I did a quick secondary survery. Left flail chest and possible abdominal internal bleeding. I did a quick look abd sono while waiting for the chest tube preparation. While - minimal ascites was noted. I inserted the chest tube and pneumohemothorax was noted. Still return of spontaneos circulation(ROSC). It was 20 mins since CPR started. Blood transufed was done but no response was noted. I certified at 35 mins. Well, there was another poly trauma with open book type pelvic fracture managed by Lem while I was managing the DOA. Well - 4th major trauma since the beginning my 24 hrs shift. I had a bad feeling when doing the resus. I was prohibited to ride a bike during my high school days as my parents considered it as very dangerous. Indeed in Malaysia - motocycle is a very dangerous toys for your kids. I owned a bike during my college day. Frankly said - I hate those bike who like to show off their skill. Left- right - left like a viper in the traffic flow. The superbikes were prohibited in the past but later approved by the govt as there were so many of them riding illegally on the road. The road tax was high but still there are peoples who are willing to spend big money(big enough to buy a sedan) on a bike. The biker families came later and the wife denied what had happened to her husband, she sat on the bench in front of the ED. I remembered they was a phrase in one of the famous cantonese mob film - " one who walks (means being a mob), would definitely need to pay back in the future..." Well, not only drive slow but drive carefully.... I did not stay long in the ED as I still had to finished my ICU rounds. I stopped by ED before I went off, the ED was clear and the ED staff with Han(nephrologist, Mal) was there having a chat. I joined the chat. Han said,"all of us should drive slowly today." Everyone looked at Lem after Han commented. Lem was known as a fast driver in the hospital and he grinned. But I told myself - I should drive slower as well . I had been driving in a rough way lately.....next time maybe I would buy a Volvo instead....

No comments:

Post a Comment