Thursday, September 18, 2008

massive casualties scenario

  It was 8pm and I had just seen a pt with traumatic SAH and sending the patient up to ICU. When I placed my foot steps in the ED, the nurse told that the Emergency Dispatch Channel had just called and told us that there had been an MVA and unknown amount of patients are coming in…I did a curse and knew that the “unknown” meant a lot, uncountable, unable to estimate… the next few seconds the ED door just slide open and 2 patient was brought in a truck. I get out from the ED and walk toward the counter and instead of seeing the patient – I told the counter clerk  to intiate  “ code 333” ( that means massive casualties scenario)…


This is not my first real massive casualties scenario – and I had my surgeon around….I walked back to the ED and started to see the patient.


Everything was wrong. The ED medical sheet, the staff management, the admin – things should not have gone like that. Everything done in during the drill was not follow properly. But we were still able to managed the scenario….


There were total 23 patients – 2 were transferred under my request : a 6y/o girl with pulmonary contusion (> 50% pul hemorrhage noted) plus minimal pneumothorax. Another 24wker G1P0 with pelvic fracture. Without MRI , O+G, Paeds Surgeon, we just can’t take this 2…


The incident : there was a local temple which held prayer. After the prayer a gathering dinner was held along the roadside. A tent was set up and few tables were arranged in it. A lady had rammed her VIOS toward the tent and those peoples in the tent were injured.


Well, I think we can do better next time - smoother and patient could be managed more promoptly...a post mortem would be done recently...


No comments:

Post a Comment