Thursday, September 18, 2008

Meeting , meeting, meeting and meeting....

I had attended 4 meetings yesterday... it was my post call day and  I went off by noon. It eaten up all my time and I had only a short time for my rounds...


The 1st one was the ICU review - weekly routine to review appropriateness of ICU admission and day of stay. The 2nd one was ED personnel meeting - an unusal one. Boss wanted to get someone considered unfit to our hospital. His intention is to train him and make him "fit". This doctor is currently doing locum in our ED - many thing could be mentioned regarding his "mis-"... I don't want to point any finger as everything I knew was hear-say. But life would be a great change if this appointment truely happen. Night shift would be less, I would need to take up some Weekend call, pay would be less as well...the key point is - no one is sure if he is interested as he gave different answer to the top people. I am sure if he join us, then my life would be better (minus the cut of pay of coz...)


the 3rd one was the pharmacy operation meeting. I am not officially in it but as the "electronic order system" I am responsible at the moment has some relation to the daily UD(unit dose distribution) operation. The order system generate a prescription whenever a drug is enter in the ordering sheet. The head of the pharmacy can be described as a person reluctant for change. He objected every options or changes we proposed.. "This cannot and that would be problem , their loading would be increase"....We had 2 meetings in the past and this is the final one before fully implementation could be done. I had a bad start as most of the problems complaint by the pharmacy were due to incompetent of nurses... I had to live with it as the ward chosen for the test ground were "problematic" unit... I agreed with the choice intially as the daily operation of the relevant ward was less but their out of shape conduct had complicated the process. The nurse didn't even look at the prescription before sending the prescription down...



The 4th one was the infection-control committee and again I am not on the list but I would need to seek a approval of extending the antibiotic review period from 3 to 7days. The current review system was set to control the use of antibiotic and currently we would need to order renew the antibiotic in a very frequent fashion. Nurse would have to go around asking doctors for prescription. It involved regarding the system I am working on as well....


I left the hospital by 1pm...so tired after a bad call...I had 3 more committee meeting coming up - the ICU, the medical ethic and the patient safety....


I hope to make some changes.....


No comments:

Post a Comment