Thursday, February 19, 2009

"fired" warrant

The new locum ED doctor had finally cast a rock over his own face this time… I managed to resuscitate a drowning case last weekend. The case was admitted to ICU and I was wandering if the case could make it … On Monday evening, I found that the case was transferred out. Later that night, the night shift nurse had told me the story behind… The male was identified as “No name Male”(we don’t use John Doe stuff here in Taiwan – it is either No name male or No name female”) on arrival. Later the family was contacted and came.


The wife was a foreigner and there were others who accompanied her. By 11+pm, few of the friends had come down to the ED and made a fuss over the ED stuff. One of them claimed,” this is the worst ICU in the County. “ She then complaint about being left outside the ICU waiting to sent towel and diapers to the patient for a long time. The family/friends were so impatient and later followed one of the night shift nurses(it was 11:00+ and the late night shift nurses started to come in) entering the ICU. They claimed that the nurses was chatting and let them waited outside the ICU for more than 10+ minutes. (I later asked around the staff and the staff told me that it was not true as they were changing stool for another patient, but that was not important) The lady than ‘show her power’ by saying, “ I knew the county health director very well , and we could transfer the case to any govt hospital in the county anytime. I would report the ICU incidence to the director personally.” If I was the doctor sitting in the ED, I would definitely stand out and apologized first and tried to pacify the family. Our locum ED doctor did stand up though but he mumbled,” Just go and do what ever you want, I am not doctor of this hospital…” Well, the other ED nurses were stunt by his word and reported to the management the next day. Well, I was interviewed by both the hospital superintendent and the deputy later– they asked if I knew about the matter. I told them what I knew. The management was definitely unpleased with such reaction and I think this locum board certified ED physician is gone case in the near future…. No violation of any professional ethic but his act signed his “fired” warrant.


Lem had discussed with me about future plan of ED ---- I told him we should get a 4th doctor and tried to covered all the shift – I told Lem I am willing to go back to the 180hrs(15shifts) life but there should be raise over our current pay….well, when I left the office, Lem had gone into a deep trance considering my words….a raise in this economic crisis? definitely joking...


No comments:

Post a Comment