Wednesday, April 28, 2010

chane again....and ? how long

Since CM joined us, I was able to spend more time in the ICU. I was very frustrated with the nursing staff. Their performances were really out of my expectation. The nurses do not know amikacin is an aminoglycoside and have no idea that it would worsen the renal function. Only a hand full of them knew how fast you could drip the dilantin into a patient, and no one knew EKG monitoring was needed during the drip.


 I had told the head nurse that it was intolerable. The deputy head nurse had even questioned my order for not inserting a Foley catheter for a patient with urine retention(I did a drainage instead). The deputy head nurse had used the word “pig head” to describe me and I was very unpleased with it.



Head nurse JL was a nice person. She is good at preparing document and running admin but is not good at managing her staff. Due to salary reason we are facing shortage of senior nurses. The head nurse had agreed that we start a training program and retrained the staff.



Loading had become more but we really see some improvement.Unfortunately I was called by boss and deputy supt (admin), they had asked me politely if I could take back Monday night shift. I had expected the request and was not surprise when they asked me. I gladly complied but was not happy when they told me I need to do 6pm to 6pm(mon->tue). I was not happy with the decision as I had told them earlier that I don’t want to do any more evening to evening 24 hrs shift. I usually wake up by 6am and take a nap of 1-2 hrs during the afternoon. It would be more stress for me if the shift start by evening. After all I don’t get use to prep myself for night shift by sleeping the whole afternoon.


 When Lem told me that he would be taking the shift arrangement, I told him that I don’t want any 6-6 shift and asked him to see what he can do. He gladly complied with my request and I got  8am-8am shift instead. I got a small break during the mid-week as I am off from Tue 8am till Wed 6pm. I was happy again but wander how long would it last.


CM had lost 40-50k as the Monday night shifts were stripped off. I wandered how long he would tolerate as his pay was 100k lower than he was expected.


No comments:

Post a Comment