Thursday, April 8, 2010

now and later....

It was a busy week follow by a 24 hrs weekend call... well, a little bit exhausted as the day shift in ICU was quite busy. CM had improved a bit as he had successfully intubated a few patient...The last few calls were bad - q1hrly call by the ward and ED.


I stopped by the ICU today to see a patient. CM joined me later and asked me what I usually do when I do ICU shift ? It was a darn sarcastic question - 1/3 of his pay came from shift he didn't know what should be done ? I told him that I would round the patients and review their order. Order renewal should be done twice per week. And I showed him how to use the prescribing system. He was not in patient and lack of concentration as far as I observed. Not paying full attention and did thing recklessly. I had told him that there was this virtual pt mode where he could practice, but he went straight and took a patient and renewed it before me. A great deal of mistake which I corrected him during the process. But at least I warned him that he should be careful as he might need to rebuild the whole order if he screwed up - I greatly advice him to try the virtual mode.


Thinking of the bright side, if he could learn then I could leave in grace. I am wrapping up my program and hoping it would conclud by the end of the year. Then I could focus on the job search. I had learnt that there is a trainning post for infectionist 70km away. It is currently my 1st choice...


No comments:

Post a Comment