Tuesday, October 12, 2010

G-shocker....



I had been a G-shocker since my college days – inspired by my brother---- a truly techie(currently serving as  managing director of an European Firm in China) on his job and life. He had taught me a lot….



I was attracted with G-shock (durability and looks) since then. My first 2 G-shock watches had plastic belt. I lost my first one during my Malaysia housemanship and bought another one. However the plastic case started to wear off and piece by piece slogged off…. A disappointment as I thought it was very durable, I told me myself, next time, maybe a G-shock with metal case.


Years later, I saw interestring an ad over the net featuring a football player with mud and a Gentlemen in suit…both of them wearing the MTG tough solar series. I was attracted by the ad - everything I need, metal case G-shock with solar ….


I started to eye for one and it cost 8k…Later I picked up one in the Costco with the tag of 6+k…











worn off... but still look great....


The MTG series is just inferior to the highest grade MRG series… My watch was unfortunately the 1st batches and later the battery become to degrade. I had the battery replace years later(during my Z EDS upgrade). It is currently still in service and running well… But the stainless belt made it appeared a little awkward when I wore it during my bicycle ride.


I had no idea at all initially as I recalled the problem with the resin/cloth watch band – smelly residual after you sweat heavily… The metal band was the only solution and “all” the metal bands are stainless steel/gold/alloy band are mostly silver or gold in color... Until lately I came across the Protrek series – The was this black titanium band (metal band which is black in color). It was easy to decide which feature I need : A double LCD model was my call as the compass would be simulate on the LCD. That left me the choice of PRG 80 and PRG 200…the differences : thickness 1.4cm vs 1.1cm … the 0.3cm cost about NT3k… I had struggled a bit initially but decided to take the PRG 80 YT.











the case is bigger then the MTG


the black color give a false appearance that it is a resin band...



I had thought of buying a good mechanical watch and later pass it along the line, but watches are not for ever –what the heck let them buy the one they wish when they could afford….I still keep the Orient Quartz watch given by my father when I came over here for medical school – it is still running and I wear it whenever there is a formal function(MTG is just too “Tough”…), an nostalgic feel whenever I wear it...


No comments:

Post a Comment