Wednesday, February 1, 2012

risk and selfish...


I had this young patient who came to me last night for haemoptysis. He had been coughing for 1 weeks and blood streak was noted in his sputum today. I did a work up and some infiltration was noted over his rt lower lung. I ordered a chest CT and the nurse told a consent for contrast medium to sign. The chap was a 19 years old chap serving in coast guard. He was brought over his senior. He had hesitated to sign the consent and I saw his anxiety to his eye. I had explained to him about the complication and risk and told him the rate of complication. He was so fear of the complication. He is a smoker and I told him – the complication rate was low compare to the act of smoking, you knew that you would be getting a whole load of disease with smoking and thence you still go ahead but for the contrast medium the risk was relatively low. He grinned and signed the consent after he heard what I said…


Sadly to say, many of the public just do what they think is right. Similar situation occurred in the safety belt scenario. From time to time, I would had parents coming in to ED, bringing their injured child in a very anxiety and “you see I treat my baby as pearl” attitude after MVA. Most of the injury was due to no safety belt use for their children.


The parents had many excuses, which sound like craps SXXX to me….I am a parent and I been there before… I would “educate” them properly in a “I am more concern about your babe than you , ye selfish own feeling place no1. Fellow… …”…Taiwan is enforcing the safety belt for all passenger rule starting this month….but I doubt it would work for this rule are mend to be broken country….


No comments:

Post a Comment