Monday, February 4, 2013

offence and malpractice.... WTH.....

 There was this old lady who come to ED last night showing her wound that she had sustained few days ago from an accident. However she did not want to have a consultation. In fact, she asked me to see her dog. It was an old dog who was knocked down by car 1 +weeks ago. It had sustained injury over it’s left hip and crippling since then. According to the lady, it had lost it’s appetite and lost 3 kg since then. The dog had been moaning due to pain and she had asked me to help the dog. She had placed that dog in a morning market trolley and came to our ED. I had hesitated for a second and told her that I would see the dog. It is against the law for a physician to treat animal but what the heck….


The lady told me that her son is admitted and no one could take the dog to a vet clinic with xray, I had always been a fan of “Emergency Vet”……
The poor dog was placed in the floor and I examined her hip. Definitely a dislocation/or fracture as frank deformity was noted. She had requested an injection just to comfort the dog for tonight. I told her I would help the poor dog and I proceeded to google…
I had this high school classmate who is a vet. She had studied in NTU and proceeded to UK for her master(yeap, she was the one who was detained by the UK immigration for hours..). On a meeting years ago, she had told me that the medication animal use is just like human but just to be careful with the dose.




I had googled up and find that I could use tramtor and paracetamol.
I calculated the dosage and gave the dog an injection and the lady was unfortunately bitten during the restraining as she was not strong enough to hold the dog. I give a  bottle of paracetamol syrup and told her the proper dosage. ( proper pain killer should be aspirin but I just don’t have any syrup for it…)


After the treatment, she offered a payment but I told her that I had never seen her nor the dog and she had never been to our setting...
Well, I told her she must take the dog to a vet clinic and surgery intervention is warranted….
Hope the dog made it…


No comments:

Post a Comment