Sunday, October 5, 2014

Lead by the light

The stay in Satun and Langu were a great experience for me…
The local staffs were friendly people and dedicated to their job, they were experience at reception of foreign short term mission, they had a few mission visits per month and they would bring them around while executing their daily routine. Even though they are new to this medical relief mission (only 1 last year) but yet their passion to their job had eased our tour.
On D3, we had two clinics and one of them was held in the local govt health clinic. The office in charge had given a lunch which consisted of fish, prawn and crab (which would cost you a arm and a leg if you go to some sea food shop which you are not familiar). The cooking style was simple but the materials were very fresh.
After 2 days of bread and packet drink as breakfast, I was bored and I had walked over to the store opposite, even though the local had told me that the food they serve was very sweet.
After I tried out their teh kurang manis and bought a pack of onde-onde , I decided to eat breakfast at store instead of buying it 1 night before.
We left Langu the on D4 and proceeded down south and back to Satun.
The last 3 clinics we run were smooth and the last clinic was held in a small town where 90% of the patients speak Malay. The 1st patient was a teacher who has surprised me with her good command of English. The local peoples were friendly as those Malay I had served during my medical officer day…
It was a life risking journey though, as we had utilized small truck as our transportation tool. We had also travel to a swamp area crossing a wooden bridge that look unstable ( the returning path was more perilous as it was raining heavily).

God had blessed us and every one of us had gained something during this journey….
The final debriefing with the local staff was a touching one and although we were warned about not to promise anything, but I told them that I would be back again next year....

No comments:

Post a Comment