Sunday, July 19, 2009

Lubang ( hole )......

I enjoyed a 10 days holiday and prepared for my 1st call…a relaxing morning, but still I was very tired after 3500 km of flying time and 400 km of driving – a 6 hrs sleep was not enough. But nothing like a heavy blow on the head during a hang over. I got a missed call from hospital and I called Lem ; bad bad news… our colleague Ong had asked for an emergency leave – or a so called “step out”. He had a bad week and his insomnia had worsen and he did not slept for 1 weeks. He decided to quit temporary on last Friday. Well, a 8 night shift “lubang”(hole) on this month call list. Boss had called for an emergency meeting to discuss such matter. I did a quick analysis and decided to share 2 of the shfits. That would my shift from 6 to 8 this month(minus the 10 days in Malaysia). The worse thing – following months to come, a 12 -13 night shifts to be filled. I couldn’t imaging how we are gonna survived. The meeting was not only about Ong’s leave but also something about the National health bureau’s budget for us. Well, a miscalculating leading to a major cut for this quarter. Negotiation was still going on and we might had to face some challenge in the future as we might have to opt for case by case reporting scheme instead of budget limiting scheme. Well, that was not my focus. I had a discussion with boss and our financial controller(boss’ wife) and I had told them that the ED physician is heavy paid in ex hospital and it had become one of the index. Well, I saw the financial controller punched her calculator ... When Lem rejoined us, boss had given us an option - 3 of us take over what had left over... Neither Lem and I wanted to commit anything... well, the pay is far too less and no worth of it to risk our life... yeah risk our life -from time to time, Lem had asked me in a joking manner - why not we take over the 720hrs shift(whole months), my answer was - when we would become human Ba Kuang ( dried meat in Hok Kian) in 3 months time. Life was hard but I rather stay alive - suffer or enjoy that was another story. I offered to take over 2 shifst and Lem would cover the Tuesday's call - for this months....


No comments:

Post a Comment