Thursday, May 2, 2013

dengue outbreak...

The infection controller (nurse train in infection control) of the hospital had hailed me at the car park and informed me that there is a load of dengue cases noted around the JR area (I used to visit to the govt special clinic until last month) which is 5 km from our hospital . There were 8 cases notified and most of them had admitted to our hospital.
I told her that I would watch out for the case. I had seen this young chap which was noted with fever with mild flu like symptom in the night. He was seen in our ED 2 days ago and a negative rapid influenza test was noted during the consultation. He was still febrile despite the medication and I had put him on the drip and the result was thrombocytopenia and leucopenia. He had c/o mild headache and eye pain was noted on D1 of fever. I had further inquired about his history and found that his grand father was one of the confirmed dengue case admitted to our hospital. I admitted him but later found out that there is no mosquito net in the hospital.
It seems that we are not ready for this ....

 I had spoken to the infection controller today and told her that patients would be pouring in recent few weeks as the JR area is a small village at the border of forest. I remembered the UiTM in Shah Alam which is located beside the forest. The health office had done their best to sprayed the insecticide but yet new case kept evolving and the condition had lasted for months, with the coming raining season, we would be struggling in the deep muddy hole...
Nothing much can be done for such cases as what we could offer is hydration and antipyretic, the more severe hemorrhagic one would be transferred out as we had not infectionist and hematologist...
The ED is filled with influenza A cases since 1 + weeks ago and now dengue patients have joined the line up….

No comments:

Post a Comment