Sunday, February 9, 2014

helpless night...

It was a busy day for me and I was lucky enough to complete all the tasks before 6pm. I reach ED by 7:30pm and found that the ED was packed with patient. I thought it was a massive casualty scenario but my surgical aide told me it was just Saturday…
I was a little bit irritated with the scenario when I took a glance at the patient list. It was 7:40pm and Pt registered at 6:50pm was not seen yet, violation of ED client charter(pt should be seen within 30min..). I told K, I would take over the consultation and he cleared whatever was pending...
It was a disaster since last year when the management decided to stop Saturday night clinic. Weekend’s evening patient had increased in number since then. I had had good Sat and Sun night but yet it is bad most of the time. Well, nothing could be done as the management had its thought and felt that they could live with it.
In the past there was there was this post known as night shift nursing leader which acted as “runner” cum overall supervisor. Night shift nursing leader worked from 4 till 12 and was the shift was distributed among senior nursing personnel. There were a few nursing staff whom had held the post as permanent post but they were either promoted or resigned later on.
To reduce cost, the management had decided to remove night shift nursing supervisor for the Saturday night and I was stuck with the massive casualty like condition, a very uncomfortable one....and I decide to do something ....

I had called up our nursing director and help came 1+ hrs later, a very odd act but yet I think something need to be done…
someone came down hours later where the condition had become better...

No comments:

Post a Comment