Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Hometown...

I was born in PJ and raised up in Klang, but I pretended that I had a Kampung (home town) which is named Chuah since my schooling day.
Chuah is a small town along the road connecting Sungai Nipah and Lukut. Sg. Nipah was the origin place of Nipah Virus which taken more than 100 lifes in 1999.
The Chinese name of Chuah is “swine lake” but there is no lake around. I presumed that it
was one of the major place raring swine before the operation shifted to Sg. Nipah.
Chuah is a small one street town with a school and police station at both end of the town.
My mother’s side grand parents ran a coffee shop there. Opposite the coffee shop there is a huge rubber plantation of 200 acres in which my grand father owned 75 acres. The British whom he worked for gave him the land when the British fled back to England during the Japanese occupation.
The coffee shop is a 2 storey wooden building which divided into 3 sections. The frontal section was the shop with the middle part (partially uncovered) functioning as the food preparation area. The posterior section was an extension of the main building leading to a small opening area which is partially covered by shed. My grand mother used to slaughter chicken at this area.
The shop house was filled surprised for a poor kid like me; so many rooms, novels, sweets, VCR and even a original Monopoly set.
It was like an escape to both me and my brother….we had a great time during those stays.
Due to strenuous labor, my granny had later suffered from severe ostheo-arthritis dampening her mobile function and my auntie who helped her running the shop had decided to shut down the operation and my granny had moved to Port Dickson and stayed with my uncle. During one of the days of my MOH service, I had visited her and she had told me that she wants me to take her to Chuah to have a look, by then she was suffering from mild dementia and my mom, dad and aunt had stopped me from taking her there and I complied….. one of the “should just do it” task that I regret for my life…

Well, I took a detour during my trip to Port Dickson few weeks ago. I took the Sepang route and took a short stop at Chuah and took a few snap shot.
the second shop from left is the coffee shop...

abandon for ?years

plantation opposite the shop, it was rubber tree in the past but later due to price drop of rubber, they had replanted it with palm oil...should be regretting at the moment as the rubber price had risen (I heard that rubber tapper earn more than a junior executive nowadays)...but however the plantation was sold to someone else few years ago.....



the malay stall sells good nasi lemak....but look abandon...





I wanted to took a short walk but it was late at noon for lunch, I just stopped by for a few photo snap… maybe on my next visit, I would take Yun and Xian to the well which had drowned a child at the back of the street…

No comments:

Post a Comment